Singaporean Olive Fried Rice


I'm hitting myself on the head for waiting too long before writing down this recipe-- or at least taking a decent picture.

Granted, my olive fried rice wasn't much to look at. But to my Tsinay palette, it tasted divine. I felt indulged. I felt comforted. I felt virtuous about the health properties of what I was eating. It hit all those happy, salty, fermented, crunchy, fluffy, bitter, pungent, oily, and sweet notes. In a perfect world– if calories were not an issue– I would happily eat two big (BIG) servings of this in one sitting.

Fermented olive leaf was first introduced to me at a potluck by a Chinese-Singaporean friend. She grew up eating it, and typically makes her olive fried rice with sausage and egg. This is the vegan approximation.

The flavor of the olive leaf is so assertive that little accents go a long way.
  • 1 T grapeseed oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • Couple pinches of red chili flakes
  • 1-2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped (depending on how much you want or have on hand)
  • Couple pinches of salt (generous)
  • 1 T fermented olive leaf, sold in jars at Chinese grocery stores
  • 1 cup kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup frozen green peas
  • Cooked rice (I used Japanese haiga rice)
  • Dash or two of soy sauce (depending on your taste)
  • Drizzle of pure sesame oil
  • Black peppercorns, ground
I don't remember all the steps, but it basically goes:
  • Heat up the oil.
  • Throw in the aromatics and stir-fry, followed by cauliflower, salt, and the olive leaf.
  • Throw in some kale, adjust heat if necessary, and then partially cover with the lid to help soften.
  • In the following order, mix in the peas, cooked rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper. 
  • Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Keep in mind the ingredients and steps listed are mere approximations. I measured nothing. Give it a try to see what works for you.

Comments

Popular Posts